Monday, February 2, 2009

Local Non-profit Secures Numerous Grants, Thanks to the GIC!

My name is Jamie Kratz-Gullickson and I am the Executive Director for PAVE – People Against A Violent Environment in Dodge County, WI. We are a small (budget under $350K) non-profit agency that provides shelter and services 365 days a year, 24 hours a day to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

I first met with Nikki Busch in the summer of 2008. I had recently been promoted to the Executive Director position and had taken a grant writing class that suggested I contact her. I brought a staff person along and we met with Nikki for about an hour or two. She introduced us to all the resources the Grants Information Collection had to offer us – from books to online resources to handouts. I returned to our agency with that information and spent the rest of the year researching and writing – and running an agency (grants are about 25% of my job).

In one month, we raised nearly $28,000. A fair portion of that was foundation dollars. We are currently waiting to hear about an additional $250,000 of pending requests. Even in this economic climate, the dollars are out there…you just have to know what you are looking for.

--Jamie Kratz-Gullickson

PAVE PO Box 561
Beaver Dam, WI 53916
920-887-3810
www.peopleagainstaviolentenvironment.com

No comments: